A Caregiver’s Guide to Spot Clutter Creep
We’re often watching our elderly family members for health issues. We should also be watching to make sure clutter is not creeping up on them!
Here are a few things to keep an eye on in their home:
- Piles of unopened mail or unpaid bills
- Stuff cluttering walkways and living spaces making it difficult for them to walk
- Expired food in the refrigerator
- Jammed closets and drawers
Also look for these characteristics in your elderly family members:
- Frustration when trying to organize
- Difficulty managing daily activities
- Compulsive shopping
- Difficulty deciding which items to discard
- Increasing health problems
If you start to notice any of these characteristics in your senior family members or in their home they may need some help. Consider setting aside some time each week to work with them to keep and stay organized or hire them a professional organizer.
A clean and organized home is a healthier environment for all your family members.